Sign up for one of our virtual or in-person events! We’ll help you develop your craft, find community, and stay connected to your dreams.
2021 Event Schedule
Welcome to our 1st ever JUNIPER Writing Conference!
Dates: February 26-28
Our goal this year is to offer a variety of events that are accessible, unique, & focused on two things: (1) Helping writers DREAM and (2) Filtering through the noise to what writers actually NEED to succeed in their evergreen careers.
One of the first things this looked like to us is the need for a conference that, rather than run the gamut of all things writing, specifically focuses on the ins and outs of publishing.
Welcome to JUNIPER.
An online comprehensive event empowering you to choose the right publishing path for your career, educating you to work with traditional publishers, agents, small presses, or indie publishing, and encouraging you as you bring your story into the world. This conference is perfect for every writer ready to develop an evergreen career and get paid for their work.
That’s it. That’s our goal. Educate, empower, encourage you for a long-term indie, traditional, or hybrid career.
And because we know attending conferences can often be difficult due to price or accessibility, we are making it available online and as affordable as possible.
There are three levels of Attendee Packages:
- Wordsmith: Admission to Saturday’s full day conference, including an excellent chat by Root Literary Agent, Melanie Castillo, as well as all workshops given that day.
- Scribe: Admission to the Saturday conference PLUS admission to the Friday night kick-off keynote event with NYT bestselling author Kendare Blake (get ready for a fantastic keynote, giveaways, and games)!
- Storyteller: Admission to the Saturday conference, Friday night’s kick-off event, AND Sunday’s afterglow with two additional professional level classes, a Q&A, mentorship opportunities, & a giveaway.
- PLUS those registered for the Storyteller admission get the option to register for a 20 minute mentorship appointment that will cover your career goals, specific marketing or branding questions, and writing advice. LIMIT 20 APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE.
- $55 – Wordsmith: Pay HERE and then register HERE.
- $75 – Scribe: Pay HERE and then register HERE.
- $100 – Storyteller: Pay HERE and then register HERE.
- $35 – Mentorship appointments (limited availability of 20 spots, and only open to the Storyteller attendee): Pay HERE. Hannah will contact you to schedule your appointment. If we are sold out, she will contact you with options.
- Friday Night – Kendare Blake, NYT bestselling author of the Three Dark Crowns series
- Saturday – Melanie Castillo, Children’s, MG, and YA literary agent of Root Literary
- All 3 Days – CJ Redwine and Mary Weber, award-winning, bestselling authors with HarperCollins Publishing
WHAT IF YOU HAVE A SCHEDULE CONFLICT?
No worries! The package classes (Wordsmith, Scribe, or Storyteller) you pay for will be available for a full month following the conference. You can tune in whenever you want, dip in and out, watch, or re-watch as many times as you like at any time online through March 28th, 2021.
- Friday night – 5pm PST, 7pm CST, 8pm EST
- Intro, Giveaways, Keynote, Game
- Saturday – 7:30am PST, 9:30am CST, 10:30am EST
- 7:30am – Intro & Discussion on Choosing Your Career Path / Project Options (CJ Redwine & Mary Weber)
- 8:30am – Setting Yourself Up For Success at Each Stage of Traditional Publishing (submissions, acquisitions, sale, developmental edit, line edit, CE, pub day, launch plan) – with Mary Weber
- 9:30-10am – COFFEE BREAK (because COFFEEE)
- 10am – Setting Yourself Up For Success at Each Stage of Indie Publishing (developmental edit, line edit, CE, pre-orders/pre-sale reviews, newsletter building/swap, cover design, launch plan) – with CJ Redwine
- 11am-12pm – Query & Pitch Workshop: Creating a query, in-person, or film/tv pitch has never been so easy or fun! – with Mary Weber
- 12-1pm – LUNCH
- 1pm-2pm – Building a Platform That Sells Books – with CJ Redwine
- 2pm-3pm – Where the Publishing Industry Is At & Where It’s Going – with literary agent Melanie Castillo & Mary Weber
- 3-3:30pm – SNACK BREAK
- 3:30pm – Having an Evergreen Career: Making a Living as a Writer – with CJ Redwine & Mary Weber
- Sunday – 8:30am PST, 10:30am CST, 11:30am EST
- 8:30-10:30am – Breakfast Club – Author Q&A & Giveaways with CJ Redwine & Mary Weber
- 11-11:30am – Advanced Class: Top Things to Know Impacting The Future Of Publishing – Mary Weber
- 11:30-12pm – Advanced Class: What’s Selling & Why – Using Today’s Entertainment to Create Commercial Concepts that Sell – CJ Redwine
We hope you can join us!
Writers, are you ready to become the CEO of your creative life?
After a year of ups and downs, 2021 is the time to invest in yourself and your dreams.
Join Mary and C.J. as we help you envision where you want to be in 2021 and then develop a realistic plan to get there. Come learn how to create a vision board, how to plan out a book before writing it, and the 7 habits of successful CEOs.
We’ll also teach you how to create a writing schedule that works for you and how to invest wisely in yourself and your career. As a bonus, you’ll receive The Writer’s Sanctuary’s Novel Planner, a reusable resource that will help you organize your writing and stay on track!
Careers don’t happen by accident. They require intentional focus and planning. Let’s work together to help you take charge of your dreams and see them come true!
DATES: January 11, 2021 – January 22, 2021
VENUE: Crowdcast teaching on Tuesday evenings (recordings will be available to those who need them) and additional activities and supplemental materials in our Facebook group.
COST: $45 – includes access to the Facebook group, Crowdcast seminars, and the bonus supplemental materials emailed to you
If the event is sold out, email email@example.com to be put on a waiting list.
On a scale of 1-10, how badly do you need to experience a few days of pampering, connection, and rest?
If you’re like most creatives, this past season has been mentally, emotionally, and creatively draining. What you need is an escape from the stresses and distractions of everyday life. A chance to push a reset button and breathe freely while others take care of you.
If that sounds perfect, then join us for a small, intimate retreat in the gorgeous city of North Myrtle Beach, right beside the Atlantic ocean. The retreat condo opens at 8:00 a.m. and closes at 10:00 p.m. Breakfast, lunch, snacks, coffee, water, and later wine and dessert will be provided. Workshops and writing sprints are scheduled into each day, along with plenty of writing time with gorgeous beach views. Explore the delicious restaurants in the area for dinner or join us for an adventurous dinner theater at Medieval Times, walk the beach in front of the condo, and then return to the quiet of your own lodgings* for the night.
You’ll leave refreshed, renewed, and refocused on your dreams!
*attendees are responsible to secure their own lodging
Dates: September 29, 2021 – October 3, 2021
Location: Crescent Shores Condos
*Wine and dessert 9/29-10/2
*Optional evening at Medieval Times (ticket price not included in event registration)
*3 workshops designed to help you develop your story from idea to revision to submission
*Access to the retreat condo with snacks, coffee, and water during retreat hours
*Gorgeous beach views from our oceanfront condo with access to the facility’s pool, rec room, and beachfront property
*Writing time, social time, and plenty of pampering and rejuvenation
*A private mentoring session with C.J. is available for separate purchase for $35
Cost: $550 broken down into a $200 deposit and 5 monthly invoices via Paypal until the balance is paid in full.
Deposit is non-refundable. No fees will be refunded for cancellations past 5/1/21. In the event that Covid is still causing considerable disruption to travel plans, the event will be rescheduled, and all fees paid will be put toward the new event.
To Register: Pay the deposit using this Paypal link and then fill out the Registration form.
Sold out? Email Hannah at firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on a wait list.
Code of Conduct
The Writer’s Sanctuary is dedicated to an experience that is free from discrimination and harassment for every person. We have a zero-tolerance policy regarding discrimination and harassment in any form toward any of our participants, at our retreats and in the online and in-person forums. This includes unwelcome and inappropriate sexual, racist, bigoted, or threatening comments or attention, touching, stalking, photographs, intimidation, or coercion – or discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, political affiliation, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nation of origin, disability, or age. Any retreat participants who violate this code may be sanctioned or expelled immediately without refund. If you are the victim of harassment or should a complaint arise at this event, please contact our staff at email@example.com.